Onboarding, Liveness Detection & Account Access
Universal 3D face authentication for 10+ Billion Smart Devices & Webcams.
Ends Identity Theft.
UnSharable, UnPhishable & virtually Spoof-Proof.
Patented ZoOm-in user experience, 2 Sec Auth, as simple as a selfie.
If you can take a selfie, you can log in with ZoOm.
ZoOm makes biometric authentication fast, easy and incredibly secure for everyone, regardless of their device. Simply center your face in the oval and move the camera a few inches closer to your face. As you ZoOm in, the front-facing camera captures high-resolution video frames of your 3D face and you instantly gain access.
Unlock your car or access your bank account from different apps using the same ZoOm motion. Enroll using a laptop webcam and authenticate with a smartphone; then add-on access to a tablet seamlessly and securely, all without even setting up a password. ZoOm makes true cross-platform biometric authentication possible with proprietary encrypted 3D FaceMaps that offer more security, flexibility and portability than any other biometric modality.
For all modern
smart devices & webcams
instant authentication after a 10-second enrollment
Works in real-world lighting conditions
Great with Glasses, Makeup & Beards
Adaptive learning tracks
changes over time
PICTURE OR PERSON?
ZoOm’s 3D FaceMap is the best of biometric modalities; instantly available to the user, but impossible for a bad actor to record and reliably replay with today’s media technology.
ZoOm’s patented process scans a 3D face with a 2D camera to ensure the FaceMap matches the real user. ZoOm FaceMaps contain much more human signal than photos or videos because they use multiple perspectives: ZoOmed, in transition and unZoOmed. Measurable perspective distortion occurs when a camera is moved closer to a 3D human face, making ZoOm vastly superior to fingerprint, palm, iris and 2D Face.
ZoOm detects the difference between “likeness” and “liveness” using Machine Learning Artificial Intelligence, and requires that a multitude of live-human characteristics be observed concurrently. These characteristics cannot be captured and reproduced without measurable generation loss and thus cannot be shared, phished or spoofed reliably with today’s media technology.
ZoOm’s Encrypted 3D Facemaps:
- Ensure User Liveness
- Stop External Threats
- Stop Botnet Attacks
- Stop Credential Sharing
- Can’t Be Phished From Users
- Expose Generation Loss in Spoofs
Want To Learn More?
A Note About Biometric Privacy – When addressing biometric privacy concerns, it is critical to understand the significance of Spoof-Proof Liveness Detection. When a biometric system is truly spoof-proof, photos and videos don’t fool the system, so bad actors can’t take media from Facebook, Youtube or an iCloud account and use it to impersonate the user. When a system demands the real 3D user be in front of the camera at the time of authentication, no photos, video or even masks will suffice, so spoof attempts are futile and stolen user media is useless.
How ZoOm Works
ZoOm tracks the changing perspective of the user’s head, neck, ears, hair, facial features and the environment as the camera is moved closer to the face. During the ZoOm motion, the camera’s perspective of a three-dimensional face changes, and perspective distortion can be observed only if the face is 3D, but not with a 2D photo or video. FaceTec’s proprietary algorithms process ~30 video frames while concurrently measuring the motion of the device. The result is a dynamic perspective, 3D authentication from a standard 2D mobile-device camera.
Spoof Detection 101
To truly understand why ZoOm is revolutionary, the threats that a biometric authenticator faces in the real world must be fully comprehended, first. So at FaceTec, we dove more deeply into spoofing than anyone else – ever – recreating millions of spoof attempts from every conceivable type of media, and finding ways to stop them.
- 2D paper photos & digital images
- High resolution videos
- Image swap-in after liveness check
- Paper masks with eye & mouth cutouts
- Hollywood masks, wax figures & lifelike dolls
- Photos or video frames animated into avatars
- Video projections on 3D heads
- Sleeping users with closed eyes
- Impostors, lookalikes & identical twins
ZoOm detects generation loss and catches the copies. A ZoOm session contains more 3D human signal than any other type of mobile face biometric, and about 100X more signal than a photo alone. The result is an unsharable, unphishable biometric that is incredibly easy for users to access, yet impossible for criminals to recreate reliably with today’s media technology.
The Authentication Model
Why Legacy Biometrics Fail
- Despite constant hype, legacy biometrics will never replace passwords because they don’t have robust liveness detection, aren’t portable across devices, and can’t stop phishing, credential sharing or complicit user fraud. With legacy biometrics, trusting an unsupervised authentication remains impossible.
- Weak legacy “liveness” detection – like wink, blink or smile – is easily spoofed by photos and avatar videos. It doesn’t matter how many weak factors you string together for MFA. If a cooperative user can spoof the system with self-captured media, then it can’t be considered secure.
- ZoOm’s robust liveness detection stops external threats like phishing, and internal threats like credential sharing and buddy punching.
- ZoOm is so secure it’s the ONLY factor in many high-security scenarios, such as car-sharing, border security, mobile banking and mobile payments.
- ZoOm is the new standard in biometrics because it’s universal, portable across-devices and across-platforms just like a password, but much more secure.
Biometric Best Practices
- Choose strong 3D liveness and anti-spoofing technology. Without it, you cannot trust unsupervised authentications and put your brand at risk for security and PR problems.
- Don’t expect users to buy a specific device just for your biometric. It needs to work on what they already have.
- Insist on a straightforward, intuitive interface. User’s must prefer the biometric or they won’t use it at all.
- Even if you only want on-device verification now (FIDO), future-proof by ensuring the biometric data can be used for server-side matching later. For cross-platform logins, device upgrades and multiple devices/user, FaceMaps must be portable.
- Choose a diverse algorithm. Don’t be accused of having a “racist” biometric just because the training sets used to create it were too homogeneous. ZoOm trained with users from over 158 countries.
- Get the Forrester Report: The State Of Facial Recognition For Authentication And Verification
ZoOm vs.Face ID
Apple and FaceTec both provide 3D Face Authentication that can determine a real human from a spoof, but that’s where the similarities end. Face ID is a hardware-based solution that only unlocks a specific phone, it has no cross-device, cross-platform identity management capabilities. And even if it did, Apple is only ~14% of the global smart device market… ZoOm is the only universal, portable, secure, 100% software solution that can securely provide cross-device, cross-platform biometric identity management.
Apple's Face ID
|Purpose||Universal 3D Face Authentication||Conveniently unlock an iPhone X|
|Installed Base||10+ Billion Smart Devices [Android (85%) + iOS (14%) & Webcams||Under 5% of in use iOS devices have Face ID|
|Portable||Yes, matching and liveness can be done on-device and/or on-server. See All Configs||No, one device only, biometric data can never leave that device|
|Technology||Software: Realtime Computer Vision + AI-Machine Learning Ensemble Pipeline||Hardware:Infrared Camera Array ($25) and Neural Network Chip ($26)|
|Interface||Proprietary, Intuitive Selfie Authenticates in ~2 Seconds||Glance at phone to unlock in few hundred milliseconds (claimed)|
|SDK Info||Easy-to-integrate for Android/iOS, plugins for Xamarin, Cordova, Phonegap, Ionic and Appcelerator||No stand-alone SDK possible, special hardware is required|
|Liveness & Depth Detection||TrueLiveness® detection uses over 20 proprietary ML classifiers to measure skin texture, eye reflections, eye focus, device motion and more||TrueDepth uses projected infrared dots, f special neural network chip to determine if the user is a match and is 3D|
|IP||Patent on the ZoOm process issued Oct, 2017, 8 additional patents pending||20+ infrared related patents from the purchase of PrimeSense in 2013|
|FAR/FRR||Can be set from 1/50K to 1/1M (Self Attested) / Low FRRs in all lighting conditions||1/1M (Self Attested) However, numerous False Accepts have been observed|
|Security Features||Encrypted 3D Facemap stored on-device in application sandbox, with keys in Secure Enclave for iOS and Keystore for Android or on encrypted server||Photos and Biometric Data stored in the secure enclave|
|Identical Twins||1/500+ Identical Twin FAR||Apple says, “If you have a Twin, use a PIN.”|
|Children||No observed issues authenticating children, but check local laws before using in your area.||Apple says, "Children under 13 should not use Face ID"|
|3rd Party Testing/Certs||UL – Presentation Attack Detection Testing iBeta – DEA EPCS Biometric Subsystem Certification Praetorian Security – Black-Box Penetration Testing FIDO – Android, iOS UAF Certified for On-Device Biometric Matching||None Publically Stated|
|Additional Features||Face Image Audit Trail, Multiple-Device, Cross-Platform , Liveness/Match Confidence Score, add Facemaps to a Blockchain||Apple says the biometric data will never leave the device, but will store images on device for future upgrades to algorithms|
Clients & Partners
FaceTec is proud to highlight just a few of the organizations dedicated to providing ZoOm’s class-leading biometric security.
- Supports iOS 8.3+ & Android 4.3+ devices & webcams
- Available in 30+ languages with easy customization
- On-device and/or server-side 3D face matching
- On-device and/or server-side 3D liveness detection
- Encrypted on-device FIDO® biometric storage
- Optional: Encrypted cloud-based biometric storage
- Level 1: PAD tested against ISO 30107-3 by iBeta
- False Acceptance Rate (FAR) of 1/50,000 – 1,000,000
- Codebase Tested by Praetorian Security
- Lightweight & easy-to-integrate SDK
- Plugins for Xamarin, Appcelerator/Titanium, Phonegap, Cordova, Ionic & React Native
See all the ZoOm Configuration Options
ZoOm is free for many organizations – See Pricing
Ready to integrate?
The production ZoOm SDK is free all educational and nonprofit organizations globally, as well as for startups, developers and small businesses with less than 10 million USD in annual revenue.
ZoOm is Free for:
- Small Businesses, <$10M USD in revenue
- Educational institutions
- Non-profit institutions
- Startups & developers
ZoOm is Billed per user for:
- Enterprise accounts
- Larger businesses, >10M USD in revenue
- Government agencies
Learn more about FaceTec and ZoOm in these white papers.
Independent 3rd Party Testing & Certifications
UAF – Authentication Protocols
iOS Certified & Android Certified
EPCS-DEA – Biometric FAR Certification
ISO – Presentation Attack Testing (PAD)
OWASP: Black-Box Penetration Testing
ZoOm Hybrid & Mobile Pen Testing
May 1, 2018
W.UP, a provider of cutting edge, cloud-based products and services for financial institutions, has partnered with FaceTec, the developer...READ MORE
April 2, 2018
Turbi, a fast-growing carsharing service headquartered in Sao Paulo, has integrated ZoOm 3D Face Login by FaceTec into their...READ MORE
March 29, 2018
Turbi, a Brazil-based car-sharing service, is taking advantage of FaceTec‘s secure mobile facial recognition technology for customer verification.READ MORE